› HOME PAGE
› TRIBUTE TO DR. HUEY B. LONG
› SDL SCROLL
› SYMPOSIUM REGISTRATION
› SYMPOSIUM INFORMATION
› GUIDELINES FOR PRESENTERS AND REACTORS
› TECHNOLOGY GUIDELINES FOR PRESENTERS
› MANUSCRIPT SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
› ABOUT US
› CONTACT US
The 30th International Self-Directed Learning Symposium was a great success!
Mark your calendar to attend
the 2017 Symposium February 8-11.
See below for two Flyers that are ready for printing and posting:
2017 Symposium Flyer (pdf file)
K-12 Day 2017 (be patient as this is a large jpg picture file)
CALL FOR PAPERS FOR 2017
Theoreticians and practitioners are invited to submit a one-to-two page proposal for paper and poster presentations addressing research, theory, or exemplary practice in self-directed learning among individuals or in any educational context for any age group, including early childhood education, K-12, higher education, continuing education, adult education, training and human resource development, or lifelong learning.
Proposals are due by October 15, 2016. Notification of paper acceptance will be made by November 5, 2016. Requests for early review will be honored for those who need early notification in order to arrange for visas or travel funding. [Click here] for the full text of the 2017 Call for Papers.
Registration and Lodging for the 2017 SDL Symposium
Information for Registration and Lodging for the 2017 SDL Symposium can be found here.
2016 Special Events Report:
- There was a special salute to Huey Long, who founded the symposium in 1986. Click on the link in the left-hand column to view the presentation on YouTube.
- Meet the Authors rotating roundtables gave participants the opportunity of small-group conversations with the First Presenters and MKA winners.
- Best SDL Practices Sharing Sessions Targeted for Level or Area: K-12, Higher and Continuing Education, and HRD were very popular, and will become a regular feature of the Symposium
- The kickoff was an exciting opening session with Dr. Yu from NASA on "The Role of Self-Directed Learning in the Exploration of Space," with amazing visuals. As Huey Long quipped, "The 2016 SDL Symposium was Out of This World!"
To view pictures from previous symposia and an invitation to attend,
click SDL Scroll on the left menu.
To view the 2016 symposium program click here.
"The Symposium was a wonderful opportunity to meet some of the major researchers in self-directed learning. I think it should be on
a ‘must attend’ list for any student, practitioner, or faculty member interested in this line of research".
"The value of the SDL Symposium for me is that we talk across boundaries and form a true learning community".
Invitation to Submit Articles
to the International Journal of Self-Directed Learning
The IJSDL is recognized as a "commendable journal" in three of Cabell's Directories of Educational Publishing Opportunities:
- Educational Technology and Library Science
- Educational Curriculum and Methods
- Education Psychology and Administration
The peer-reviewed journal is published twice each year, and submissions are welcomed throughout the year.
To obtain the Manuscript Submission Guidelines - click here.
It is advised that you use these guidelines in preparing Symposium papers as well if you are planning to submit for publication.
View the latest edition of the
International Journal of Self-Directed Learning
To view previous editions of the Journal, or Journal indexes